May 16, 2009

Evolution of Art: STROIK! opening at Beanetics

Here we are on a rainy Saturday night, bluesy jazzy pop is laying on the radio. the atmosphere is laid back here at Beanetics this evening. A real "coffee-house" feel is in the air. 

Monica is here talking with an art patron. Come on by, meet her and talk with her about her art. For those of you who are interested, Monica is also going to be showing at Artomatic DC this year. Artomatic runs for five weeks, from May 29 through July.

Someone just asked Monica this question: 
What is your process for creating art?
The first layer is always immediate... what I'm feeling and thinking. And dimensions of surface.


The second layer takes a lot of time and planning beginning with thumbnail sketches in my sketchbook. I take a lot of time figuring out how I want to divide the space up... how many spaces do I want. And again i am reacting to the space and the layer underneath.

After I do the first layer, I walk away and think about it for as long as it takes. Playful Riot took a year between the first and the second layer. I will walk around all day thinking about the pieces.
Another question for our artist: 
Is there a particular style of art that you like?
I like artists that create situations or put images together in a way that tell a story.
How recently have you done this work?
It's all been done within the last four years.
Well there is a lively crowd here of Monica's friends and family. Everyone is enjoying Beanetics' fabulous coffee, yummy chocolatey brownies, and Monica's art. What could be better!



8 comments:

  1. I appreciate the skill involved in Monica's work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colors, layout, and overall thought of the design. Each painting has its own message. You don't necessarily have to get the message to appreciate the art. In "Living Life", I like the way the lines within the paint draw you into the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty! Love the colors, swirls, and sudden geometric changes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Playful Riot. Even though the lines are chaotic but the colors are unified. The opposition comes together. Even though there are a lot of swirls, it is still segmented. I like the complimetary opposites in the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Monica's work. In fact, I own three of her pieces already. In this show of Monica's, I really like "Debonair."

    I also like the chai. It was marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own one of Monica's pieces also. Monica's work uses vibrant colors. The flow of her work is very visually pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the coffee! Love the brownie. Love the art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The paintings take the subconscious and conscious and blur them into a work of art.

    ReplyDelete