February 18, 2009

My Sketchbook Journal is on its way to Atlanta

A while back I signed up to participate in the Sketchbook Project through Art House Coop of Atlanta, Georgia. Art House is a forward-thinking gallery that focuses on creating huge community art projects where anyone who wants to can participate. I love the idea of groups of people all creating art individually on a given theme.

Unlike many other shows, the entrance fees are minimal, and everyone's work is accepted. It blurs the lines between fine art, social art, political art, etc. Everyone gets to interpret the project their own way. There's no censorship. No hierarchy. It is all about creating a community of artists. It makes you ponder the notion of "what is art?"

The theme of Sketchbook Project 3 was "everyone we know." I admit that stumped me for a while. I didn't know what I should do. Do I draw everyone I know? Do I do a "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" approach? Do I ignore the theme altogether and just create in the journal and allow the viewer to figure it out? Eventually I decided to start on a more personal journey, exploring the idea that certain things are common to life. Babies are born. Everyone dies. In between we live.

Here's a few samples from my journal:


Originally, the journal was supposed to be returned with a postmark of no later than February 15th. I think someone forgot to look at the calendar when they scheduled that date...it was a Sunday. So the powers that be changed the date to Tuesday, February 17th. Before I knew of the change, I ripped out the extra pages I hadn't done anything on. Then I stapled them back in since I had two more days of journaling possibilities. Yea! Except for the flu....


So it's the 17th, and the journal is due to be posted to Art House today, and I hadn't actually added anything because I've been in bed for the past few days hunkering down with the flu. So what's a girl to do? Finally, I turned on the television and began drawing sketches of random people on Oprah, Dr. Phil, Divorce Court, and some old rerun television shows I don't even know the name of. It actually turned out to be a fun way to fill the pages. I could only do very quick sketches because the image on the television screen kept changing. I either got the gist of the person's essence or not. Either way, it didn't matter. It turned out to be a great skills exercise. Throw it on the canvas and forget about it. On to the next. I think the next time I'm laying in bed with little energy, I'll turn on the TV and grab a sketch journal. There's nothing like quick sketches to train the eye and hand.

The Sketchbook Project 3 is touring several cities beginning in March, including Atlanta, Boston, Washington DC, Philadelphia, St. Louis. Check the Art House website for all the details. I plan to see it in Washington, and imagine that having the opportunity to leaf through hundreds of journals to see what others have done would stimulate those creative juices. If it's in a city near you, check it out!

Interested in finding out what other projects there are to participate in?
Check out Art House projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment