February 15, 2009

Evolution of Art: Come meet Carlos Rodriguez today!

Here we are at Beanetics for another fabulous art reception. This month's artist, Carlos Rodriguez, just arrived for his reception. While we wait for you all to come by, I'm going to interview Carlos.

So Carlos, how long have you been painting?
I've been painting the serapes for about 7 years.

Did you do any art before the serapes?
Yes. I've had sketchbooks and life drawing books for a long time, maybe 20 years. Before I was inspired to do the serapes, I had sketchbooks I was filling up with skyscapes using chalks and oil pastels on paper. I have probably 15 book of scapes sketches.

What is your process for creating your serapes?
First, I have to set my pattern of colors . I use my sketchpad and experiement with the colors until I get a pettern of stripe that feels right. It is always symmetrical lines of color with only one color that is the center color. Then I need to decide on the width of the lines. As you'll notice, they're not all the same width.

When I'm reeady to paint, I tape off the stripes. I do an undercoat of Titanium White, because it makes the colors jump off the canvas more.

When I start to put the colors on, I apply at least seven or eight coats of paint for each color, until it looks right and feels right... until there's a certain presence to it.

Then I take the tape off to let the edges dry. They have to be really dry before I layer the next set of tape, so the edges are clean. It is very time consuming.

What is your palette of color? Is it true to the traditional colors of serapes?

I use primary colors and the full color spectrum. It's shades within the spectrum of the rainbow, rather than true rainbow spectrum.

I do abstract realism...Realistic abstracts of the serape. A true serape has shades of a color that blend to the next color stripe. You'll have shaders of green, and shades of red, and shades of violet that blend to each other. I choose to make a bolder statement with my paintings, rather than doing the subtle gradations of actual serapes.

Do you ever think about doing some paintings that are Realism rather than Abstract Realism?

I am thinking of trying some paintings with the more subtle gradations, but I think it may get to busy that way. We'll see.

So you're doing Artomatic again this year? What are your plans?
I just got my canvas for Artomatic. My neighbor with a truck brought it over to my house. It's 4feet by 6feet. It's considered Museum size. It will probably take me all three mmonths between now and when Artomatic opens to create me painting.


Guests are starting to show up now so well end the interview for now. A couple of Artomatic artists have arrived. Carl, a "Peeps" artist (last year he did "Full Sugar Coating" for those of you in the know... a spoof on "Full Metal Jacket.) has arrived, along with Joseph, an artist that has exhibited next to Carlos at Artomatic for the past couple years.

Carlos's guests are asking some interesting questions: Why are they paintings all vertical but one? Does he paint the stripes vertically or horizontally? I haven't been able to hear the answers, but it sounds like a lively conversation.

And Gwenn Zaberer and her husband, Travis, just walked in. Gwenn also showed at Artomatic last year. Her work is really great -- a celebration of the female form. She is going to exhibit in next month's show, Making Herstory 4, a show that will run simultaneously at Sewall Belmont House, Peace and A Cup of Joe, and Beanetics!

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful! The Serapes match the shop! Marveloso! See you at Artomatic. VIVA SERAPES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colors are WONDERFUL! Your painting, SIMPLICITY, is my favorite -- so bright! so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the artwork this month! It is very reviving. I feel like I just woke up! It's amazing what you can do with a few lines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors are always symmetrical. But I woder why one of them is horizontal stripes and all the rest are vertical.

    Looking at them, I find that my mind tries to make the painting into something, like two steel cylinders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carlos's work is great! Colorful! Bright! Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a wonderful show. Travis and I enjoyed meeting new friends and artists. I talked to Carlos about his work and saw the connection to the serapes and his paintings. I also learned that he is inspired by the artist Gene Davis. I was great talking to him about his work and Artomatic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The show today was wonderful. Travis and I enjoyed meeting new friends and artists. I talk to Carlos about his work and saw the connection between the serapes and his artwork. I also learned that he is inspired by Gene Davis. I enjoyed talking with him about his work and Artomatic.

    ReplyDelete