March 17, 2008

Mandalas and Labyrinths: The Wisdom of the Circle

I've been doing mandalas as an art form for more than 15 years. And even though I have grown into other media beyond prism color pencils on black paper, the circular form of the mandala still has a place in my life.

When I think back to my favorite childhood toys, I remember spending hours playing with Spin-Art and Spirograph. Even as a wee one, I loved circles. As I moved into new genres of art, I thought I would leave the circle behind. But I have learned that you can take the girl out of the circle, but you can't take the circle out of the girl. So I don't fight it in anymore. If the mandala form wants to be present, I welcome it into my art.

Recently, I met a fellow WCA artist, Sandra Wasko-Flood, who loves circles as much as I do. She walks them all the time. She has a passion for labyrinths and even created a labyrinth of her very own, right here in Washington, DC. She used light boxes and images to create the path.
Recently I walked her labyrinth and it was a profound experience.

Sandra and I have decided to combine our interests in mandalas and labyrinths. We've created a workshop called "At the Center: The Wisdom of Mandalas and Labyrinths." It's scheduled for April 6th, from 1-4pm, at the Living Labyrinths for Peace center, 57 N Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001.

I hope you'll join us for this inspirational workshop that combines the mandala process and the labyrinth process. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment