May 19, 2010

Evolution of Art: "Works in Red" by Cheryl Leibovitz


There's a great exhibit at Beanetics right now that you should come and see! Cheryl Leibovitz has eight mixed media paintings on display from her "Works in Red" series. These paintings are full of energy and vitality. Here's Cheryl's description of her work:

The pieces in this show are part of a series of approximately 20 paintings which I working on for about 9 months. While I usually work on series of paintings this is the largest series that I’ve worked on to date. For this particular series the common factor in the works is the dominance of the color red. I start off working with various lines and shapes and then start adding colors and textures. I obtain the various textures through the use of collage materials (often paper that I’ve painted or dyed), peeled paint, canvas and crinoline. In addition, I work with graphite, acrylic paint and crayon d’ache. I work one layer after another with an emphasis on obtaining a sense of depth through those many layers. I continue on until I am satisfied with the composition of the piece.

Stop by the coffee shop between now and June 12th to see Cheryl's work. Here's a list of the pieces in the show:

Seascape $200
Red Study #5 180
Red Study #3 200
Red Study #6 180
Dancing to the Music 200
Circles 180
Talking Heads 200
Red Study #4 180

As a special treat, Cheryl has invited friends from SPARK to come and perform as part of her closing reception. There will be live harp music, and several readings. Be sure to join us for this creative event, June 12th, from 7-9pm!



No comments:

Post a Comment