January 30, 2010

Evolution of Art: Lynne Harris's Brilliant Artist Statement


Evolution of Art February artist,
Lynne Harris, in her own words:

I have never really had time to paint--that was my excuse. But now I find myself caught up in something which, I suppose, has always been there, simmering, waiting to bubble over.

I have always been an artist, experimenting with various media sporadically over the years. Until recently I had not had any formal instruction. Then a friend encouraged me to take some classes in oils, so I started classes under the wonderful Nancy Jung in September 2008. I was immediately hooked and have been painting furiously ever since. I have found to my delight that my natural ability to draw, coupled with Nancy's tutelage, has resulted in paintings which give expression to my inneer thoughts and motivations.

There is no intentiional theme to my work, other than images that resonate with me personally. I am usually attempting to capture the essence of the subject from my perspective--to convey the aspect I found appealing. My work is a progression, and I have been intent on experimenting with different subjects--seascapes, "Old England" scenes, daffodiles peeping through a fence--but find I get the most enjoyment and satisfaction from painting dogs.

Really and truly I paint for the enjoyment it gives me. I find it both a relaxing interlude and an outlet (I won't say "escape") from being a full-time homemaker and mother to four daughters.

I think all artists are on a journey of learning and discovery (trute though that may sound), and I have never been happy labeling myself as an artist who uses any particular technique over another. I know I am happy with a finished work when I stand back and can see the cheeky expression of the puppy as it stares back at me from the canvas, or imagine myself walking on the cliffs above the sea, or wandering through the gardens sprawling around Thomas Hardy's cottage.

This show includes several dog portraits, for I do adore our canine friends, and scenes from around the British Isles. (Yes, I am British ... we came over from the UK 10 years ago.) I hope other people enjoy looking at my paintings as much as I enjoyed bringing them to life on canvas.
Come meet Lynne and hear her engaging stories of life as an artist and mother of four at her artist reception:
February 6th from 7-9pm
Beanetics Coffee Roasters: 7028 Columbia Pike, Annandale VA 22003

No comments:

Post a Comment