December 28, 2009

Evolution of Art: Barrett's Artist Statement

When you gaze at Jean Marie Barrett's paintings, you may notice a certain quality in them. They are somehow a bit romanticized, or maybe idealized. Perhaps it's like looking at the world through rose colored glasses. Whatever it is, it is very appealing, and draws you in. According to Barrett, it is the ability to look at the world through the eyes of her childhood.

The purpose behind painting sunlit landscapes, weathered houses, intimate interiors and atmospheric nocturnes is to express what I remember of my youth. Yet memory is fickle- what is recalled could be a fabrication or at least an exaggeration. Making these paintings causes me to examine the impressions of my past that I have held as truth for so long. The act of painting provides me with a metaphorical crowbar to pry open my long held assumptions. I am becoming open to seeing new truths.

Barrett's work is on exhibit at Beanetics coffee Roasters through January 30, 2010. Beanetics is located at 7028 Columbia Pike, Annandale, Virginia 22003.

Join us for an artist's reception on January 9th, 2010 from 7-9pm! See you then!









No comments:

Post a Comment