April 19, 2007

What is the responsibility of an artist?

So all over the news this week we've been bombarded with images of the violence that occured at Virginia Tech, in Blacksburg, Virginia. Let me start of by saying how sorry I feel for the families, and the community involved. It was a horrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone, and I hope that the healing can begin soon.

In fact, a friend sent an e-mail that said that during her meditation she got that we should all send prayers of healing and love to those who are deceased, those who are recovering from injuries, those who are the loved ones left behind to deal with the grief, those who are part of the worldwide community that has suffered as a result of this tragedy. In other words, how about if we focus on sending love and healing to everyone. How would that change the world?

It concerns me that we are confronted with images of Cho brandishing his guns, spewing vitriolic hatred at no one in particular, blaming everyone else for his pain. I cannot figure out why this is newsworthy. It does nothing to help the healing, and only aggravates the suffering of everyone involved. And yet, this is what the media chooses to display, and obviously the public wants it because they keep watching. Me, I turn the television off.

As an artist, working with conscious intention, I have come to understand that where we put our attention matters. Why do we want ugliness and violence? Why not images of beauty and wholeness? Why do we not seek to uplift our spirits in times of distress?

I have done my share of "dark" art. I have used the process of creating art as a way to work through personal issues. I often use art processes as a way to journal. But I have made a conscious decision that though the process is a personally helpful one (it gives the ideas/feelings someplace to be other than running around in my head), I will not put those images out into the world for public consumption. There is enough darkness in the world. When do we, and how do we focus on creating the light?

4 comments:

  1. SOLUTION

    lets issue handguns with collage entrance packets at VT and then see if this checks violance or increases it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure giving everyone handguns will solve the problem. I think that will only increase the problem by focusing on creating more violence rather than less.

    I think we need to think carefully about what kind of communities we want to create. Do we want communities based on fear and anger?

    What about all the studies that show that when people pray or meditate for peace or healing, and direct their prayers toward a specific recipient (perhaps a neighborhood with a high crime rate), healing of some sort occurs (like the number of crimes committed in that area for that particular time decreases.)

    Why do you need to focus on the negative? Why not focus on creating the positive? If you don't want something, focus on what you do want. Rather than being against something or someone, be proactive towards what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me the question is what is my responsibility? What can I do? What should I do?

    I can pray for peace. I can pray for healing. Am I terrible for praying for the shooter? He must have been terribly wounded. Does he not also deserve prayers?

    I think, also, about all the other people who have suffered pain and death and tragedy this week, whose stories we haven't heard, whose pain we haven't noticed: children in Africa dying of AIDS, people in hospitals with illnesses and injuries of various kinds, people who have lost loved ones through accident or illness, people who are homeless or jobless or hungry--all over the world and right around the corner. All this focus on the events at Virginia Tech has crowded any thoughts--if there were any to begin with--of all these others in pain. I'm wearing a maroon shirt today; do I dishonor these others because I am more focused on the victims in Blacksburg?

    So I want to turn my focus and my attention to all those in pain, whose stories I have ignored in the crush of events. I want to send prayers to all *those* people.

    And I want to turn my attention to enjoying the spring weather that is finally here, and relaxing after a full week at work, and spending time with my wife, and just *living* my life. I want to take care of what I can do--and that, for me, means living as best I can, taking positive steps, acknowledging the blessings I have.

    I've had enough sadness for a while. I'm choosing to be happy about all the things I have to be happy about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your question, Jennifer. Why put the dark out there. Deal with it, artistically even, but reach out with light.

    I've really enjoyed the mandala meditation sessions and am glad they might be going again. It's interesting to observe how some things are dark and how I or anyone can choose where to go with it, once it's acknowledged. I have to agree that not all images are for all persons to see. When we come together, it's special, let's create something positive with some of our time together.

    ReplyDelete