January 9, 2010

Come meet Jean Marie Barrett!

We're at Beanetics for another exciting evening of coffee, conversation, and, of course, great art! We're here to celebrate Jean Marie Barrett's paintings, so come on out--it's cold outside, but there's wonderful coffee and other delectables to warm your insides.

So I've had a couple people ask about Barrett's art... weren't there houses up before? Yes, you are right! A couple days after we initially hung the show, Barrett requested that we change out a few pieces, because they belonged to patrons who really felt they couldn't live without them. So the houses went back to their rightful owners and the landscapes are up.

Barrett's landscapes are not "typical." They are reminiscent of places you've been: a walk along a country lane, driving along the road under a train viaduct, sitting by a quiet lake at dusk, hearing a train whistle in the night.

One viewer describes Barrett's work as "beautifully bold." Another describes it as "accessible and inviting."

Barrett has arrived and there are lots of goodies to eat. Beanetics has put out an array of bon-bons. And Barrett has brought the usual artist accoutrements of cheese and crackers. And then there's the surprises: twizzlers and pancakes. How could resist? You gotta come on by!

Folks are showing up, and Crescent Lake Twilight has just sold. Congratulations, Jean Marie!


11 comments:

  1. Nancy & Jim TretickJanuary 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM

    After seeing Jean's work for the first time at Artomatic in Crystal City, VA in 2007 I fell in love with her work. Finally we found the perfect piece and Jim and I are proud owners of "Crescent Lake Twilight". We have the perfect spot in our home to display it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Jean Marie's paintings. They're very real--not highly idealized like a lot of landscapes. It's almost like just looking out the window. Thanks for another wonderful show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean Marie's paintings are so fresh. The paintings are so loose; you know it's a place she's been... she's driven down that road or walked in that place... There's a dream like quality to her work, and so much feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite thing about Jean Marie's paintings is the color and the light! Her color is really unique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Jean Marie's work. It feels like I'm there! And, I like the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Crescent Lake. It brings back memories of evenings camping in the Adirondacks and brings back to me the peaceful feeling of watching the sun set over the lake and the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jean's dynamic use of color in her paintings and how some pieces make me feel energized while others make me feel peaceful. She has a wonderful range - I'm looking forward to seeing more of her pieces and more shows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not mentioning names, but Jim Tretick told me to write something on this machine/blog. I didn't initially believe him. But now that I know it's a legit forum to discuss Jean's paintings, I'm all over it. Jean's paintings are always a delight to see. Her palette brings a wonderful sense to the small details that are often overlooked. This is particularly evident in her street scenes, and absolutely in the painting called "Night."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jean Marie's ethereal landscapes and houses are a nostalgic walk down memory lane. I am always impressed by your beautiful work. Great show!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful display. You have a great vision! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had a great time at Jean's art show at Beanetics with friends. Your art looks great Jean. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete