December 7, 2008

Walking the Labyrinth

Last night I had the opportunity to walk the labyrinth created by Sandra Wasko-Flood, installed at the Sub-Basement Artist Studios in Baltimore, Maryland. Sandra is the founder of Living Labyrinths for Peace, located in Washington D.C. As an artist, Sandra creates interactive labyrinths with lights. I have walked several labyrinths in several locations over the years, but none compares to the experience I had walking this one. Her show is up through January 31, 2009. If you can, check it out! Here's my experience...

Sandra installed a labyrinth indoors in a large gallery space filled with a retrospective of her art. The atmosphere is spacious, inspiring and inviting. As I entered the labyrinth I set an intention for the inquiry I wanted to walk with: I wanted to explore connection with others.

I entered the labyrinth and my husband, David, entered after me. I don't know what his intention was, although I'm pretty sure he had one. For a long time it was just David and I in the labyrinth. I was walking slowly, taking in my surroundings. David was walking practically sloth-like. A musician sat playing music to guide us on our journey. Since I was interested in the idea of connection, I paid attention to what was going on around us. Many folks stopped to watch us on our journey. They commented on how slowly we were walking. We continued on in our ever-conscientious way.

Others joined the labyrinth. This always makes for an interesting experience: How do you handle people going at different speeds? Do you pass folks in front of you who are going slower than you? Do you let others pass you if you are going slowly and others have caught up with you? How do you pass folks going in opposite directions; do you let your bodies touch or do you bend out of the way? Do you step off your path to let someone else go by. Do you turn sideways so as not to touch? And how does all of this relate to how you move through your life.

For the most part, I kept to my path, allowing people to pass. Sometimes I rubbed elbows with folks passing by; other times I maneuvered out of their way. Rarely did I move off my path. Some other walkers proceeded slowly while others practically ran or skipped their way through. There were time when I wanted to run, so I did. Mostly I moved in a methodical, contemplative manner.

I made it to the center, and began my journey back out. Then magic happened. Because of the difference in pace at which David and I were travelling this labyrinth, we caught up with one another. I was on my out of the labyrinth and he was still on his way into the center. Yet, because of the nature of the labyinthine path, we were travelling in opposite, yet parallel directions next to each other. At first we walked together slowly, one step apart, not touching, but being in sync with our breathing and movements. I slowed down a little; David sped up a little. We fell into a rhythm. It was calm and happy. We were both smiling, but we weren't looking at each other. We continued on side-by-side until we got to the end where we needed to turn the corner. We stood facing each other. We needed to switch places so I could follow the part of the path he was just on and he could follow mine. And we were changing direction; I was to walk where he just came from. And he was to walk where I just came from. Again we were walking in opposite directions, but together. We hugged and together turned so we each stood in the other's spot. We stayed there for a moment, hugging, in deep connection. And again without any words, we began walking. This time we held hands. It was felt sweet and romantic -- like we were on a date. The fact that there were lots of people in the room didn't matter. The fact that many of them were watching us didn't matter. It was deeply intimate and personal. I felt deeply connected and committed to this man I love. We continued on holding hands until we got to a place where our paths diverged. I continued out the labyrinth, and David continued toward the center and then worked his way back out.

I got my answer about connection: We are always connected. Even when it is true that we are traveling in different directions, or at different speeds, we are still somehow doing it together. Sometimes we are in complete alignment; sometimes we're not. But we are always connected and together. What a beautiful gift to get, all from walking the labyrinth.

I wonder what you'll find out when you walk....

No comments:

Post a Comment