May 10, 2008

EVOLUTION OF ART: MARGUERITE BECK-REX @ BEANETICS!


Here we are at Beanetics for the latest in our artist receptions. Tonight we are featuring WCA water color artist, Marguerite Beck-Rex. When Marguerite makes her annual pilgrimage to France, she packs her watercolor supplies, heads off to Provence, and paints the fields of lavender.For Beck-Rex, the pulse of poetry and the play of color in gardens led directly to the pleasure of becoming a landscape painter. Watercolor painting seemed a natural outgrowth of years invested in gardening and publishing poetry in which the rhythms of the seasons and images of nature’s colors ran rampant.

Over the years, her poetry has appeared in many poetry and gardening journals as well as in the Christian Science Monitor. Over the past fifteen years, her paintings have been exhibited widely over the Washington DC area. During the first of her years of study at The Art League in Virginia, Beck-Rex traveled to the Luberon area of Provence, where family farms lush with lavender, wheat and vineyards have for many years been a magnet for artists.
She then began to coordinate what has become an annual trip for artists to that region, which is studded with villages perched on the sides of the Luberon Mountains, offering colorful views. Her work is influenced by David Hockney's curvilinear explorations of the East Yorkshire countryside. Come stop by, have a cup of coffee, and tell us what you think.

13 comments:

  1. Wander through fields of green and violet, lavender and aubergine. Reminiscent of a soft dreamland of cheerful, comforting rolling hills and fertile gardens... lovely to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marguerite, we drove down from Philadelphia for Jennifer's birthday celebration at Artomatic and had to stop by here to see your work! Terrific!

    Magnifique! J'espere d'y aller (en Provence) bien tot!

    (I hope to go there soon)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Captures the joyous beauty of Provence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ENCHANTING!! Poetic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the Sanctuary pieces. They evoke a sense of tranquility and peace within my soul. I've never been to France, but these pieces make me want to visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marguerite's work is GREAT! I came a hundred miles to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color, especially the purple. My favorite is "Lavender into Infinity"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, I really like the art! I love the purples and yellows. "Quilted Fields" is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The Last Refuge of the Heretics", "Lavender into Infinity", and "Town Nestled in the Pyrenees" bring back fond memories of my trip to Provence with Marguerite and other artists.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Marguerite's work. It makes me want to return to Provence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the vibrant, provincial colors in all the paintings. I personally prefer the pieces towards the entrance. The detail is very appealing and I think they compliment the ambiance of our store. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed the extensive use of color in all of the pieces. The different colors were truly pleasing to the eye and continue to draw you into the picture and make it pleasurable to look at. I plan on enjoying looking at the pieces for several weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete