April 13, 2008

An Interview with Margaret Paris

While we're here at Beanetics for her art opening, I thought it would be fun to talk a little more with Margaret Paris about her work.

JJ: How did you start as an artist?

MLP: I started as a painter and a printmaker. Over 30 years ago, I just gradually segued into photography.

JJ: What got you interested in photographing nature?

MLP: Growing up, I spent a lot of time in nature with my brothers. It was only natural for me to go outside to take photographs. What else would I do? No matter what I'm doing in my photography--because a lot of it hasn't been taken outside--I always go back outside. It's kind of a renewal of my roots. When I feel like I'm running dry, I take my camera outside.

JJ: Tell me about the Everglades series.

MLP: The first trip I made to the Everglades was down to the end of the road--there's a National Park there with a lodge. My aunt and I made this trip. I was fascinated with the flora and fauna of the Everglades. If I had been born in Florida, I would never have left. I would still be photographing the Everglades now. The density of plant life there is very intriguing.

JJ: What about your second trip?

MLP: The second trip was across Alligator Alley, which is across the top of the Everglades. It's a very big area. The light wasn't quite right to do a lot of photography; it was too late in the day. But I did see a lot of alligators, and I got that out of my system.

JJ: Tell me about your process for creating these prints.

MLP: They started as black and white slides (Scala). Then they were turned into Polaroid transfers. The transfers were then scanned and digitally enlarged and tweaked. The black and white slides give a sepia image on Polaroid transfers.

JJ: What's your next project?

MLP: I plan to use the same technique in photographing the Anacostia River trails in upper Montgomery County. I'll be starting that sometime in the fall.

JJ: Thank you so much, Margaret!

No comments:

Post a Comment