January 2, 2008

Update on Circles of Creativity

Happy New Year! Many of you have asked when I was going to blog again. Obviously I'm not the most consistent blogger, even when I have things to share. Although it's the new year, and it is traditional at this time to make resolutions, I will refrain from that exercise. I'm pretty sure I will be just as inconsistent in the new year. What I can promise is that I will try my best. And if you like what you are reading, it would be helpful to me that you let me know; please leave a comment. I am more likely to blog more faithfully if I get the sense that we are having a conversation. I like connection. Thanks for understanding and joining in the dialogue.

So, I thought I'd bring you up to date on the Circles of Creativity class at Goodwin House in Falls Church. It never ceases to amaze me the wisdom that arises from doing this simple process of creating mandalas. The November and December 2007 classes are perfect examples of this truth.


The theme for the November class was "Healing the Heart; Healing the World." In that class we explored places within ourselves and the world that needed healing. Some participants explored their own relationships with themselves, family and friends, and others explored world events. During our sharing process, the message for how we heal the world was clear. We need to start with ourselves. Audrey's piece expresses this so clearly: If you want to be liked by others, you need to reach out to them. Smile and be cheerful. Make the effort to connect and be kind. Be sincere in your effort. That is how love grows. And it is love that heals! In summary, I am reminded of Gandhi's words: "Be the change you wish to see in the world."


Our December class was wonderful and thought-provoking. Our theme for that evening was about developing an attitude of gratitude. Several times in the week before this session I ran across a phrase from Talmud: "Who is rich? One who is content with their portion." In response to this idea, we began our time together by contemplating the many blessings in our lives. Each participant made a personal list for their own reference. Then we began our meditation to access a symbol or symbols to express gratitude. After everyone drew their images, we took an opportunity to share. This is my favorite part of the class. It's when the magic happens.

One woman in the class drew this image of the Israeli flag with two hearts (at left). This piece provoked an amazing conversation that touched everyone. Though we try really hard not to be judgmental in the class, it was nearly impossible that night. The rest of the participants really thought this piece was beautiful and wanted to know more about it.



What came out of this curiosity was the most interesting give and take between the participants about gratitude and being in relationship with others.


The mandala of the dog was one woman's exploration of unconditional love. She told us the story of how she came to adopt her dog and how her dog continually shows her unconditional love and acceptance. From her dog she has learned that everyone loves in their own perfectly unique way. Love grows.







Another participant, Sharon, did this piece that explores connection with her ancestors through African symbols. Each symbol represents a specific value that is meaningful to Sharon.




Linda shared the message of her piece: When someone needs helps there are many people around who are willing to lend a hand to support those in need. If we need help, it is there for us. We have to trust the process and be willing to accept the help and support being offered.




This last piece truly sums up the message of the evening: Love is at the heart of it. Our love of God. God's love for us. Our family and friends. All the good people in our lives. All the things that nourish and support us: home, food, beauty. The bottom line: It all comes down to love.




For me, that was the most powerful lesson of the evening: the strong connection between love and gratitude. We express our gratitude by giving and receiving love in all its many facets.

We ended class that evening with this poem by E.E. Cummings:

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings;and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing and--lifted from the no
of all nothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)



Our next session is Monday, January 14th, 2008. The topic for that night is "The Compassionate Soul." I'm really looking forward to what the new year brings for everyone in the class. If you haven't had a chance to join us yet, you still can! If you'd like to get in on the fun, just drop me an e-mail at jennifer@soulworksstudio.com.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Looks like an amazing circle! I just love the insights that came out of the discussions. I particularly like the Gandhi quote, because I use it often myself, and the cummings poem seems perfectly apropos.

    You're really doing great things!

    Thanks for continuing to blog--I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete